Pros & Cons of Campus Living
Created by initialsLKL on 02/27/2010
discuss the positive attributes of living on campus, as well as the negative aspects.
1. Walking to classes promotes a healthier lifestyle.
2. No worries about parking when you don't need a car while living on campus.
3. Classes are a short walk away from the dormitories.
4. The dormitories have their own laundry rooms $1 per washing machine load and $1 per drying machine load.
5. More opportunities for socializing with other students on campus.
6. For a little extra money, you can have a suite to yourself with your own kitchen and bathroom.
7. You don't live with your parents anymore and can do "your own thing," at least until graduation.
8. Cable TV, power, water, sewage, trash, air conditioning and heating are provided with one manageable rent price.
9. Through living on campus with roommates, you can increase your responsibility for yourself and others.
10. The dormitories are an environment that foster learning opportunities.
1. You probably will have to move away from your family and old friends.
2. You will have to pay to live somewhere if you're not living at home.
3. If you're not a people person, roommates can become obnoxious.
4. A mode of transport is needed to shop anywhere else other than the UAB Diner or CVS.
5. The requirement for the purchase of a meal plan can discourage many.
6. Living on campus makes one tone-deaf to police sirens, ambulances and inconsiderate visitors at all hours of the night and day.
7. If you play hookie from a class, you have to stay indoors all day to avoid contact with that professor or fellow students.
8. Room inspections for health and safety are done randomly, once a month, without any form of notification.
9. Individual expenses that vary slightly less than the average tally can make dorm rent seem overly expensive.
10. Cheap, crappy furniture.