Pros & Cons of Rhizotomy
Created by anonymous on 04/05/2011
facet rhizotomy â€“ a procedure that uses an electrical current to destroy the nerve fibers carrying pain signals to the brain
1. if it works - NO more Pain
2. off of narcotics and other medications used to treat my pain.
3. Will help break the pain cycle, in hopes that when the nerve grows back the pain will not come back with it.
4. reduced medical bills
5. ability to do activities that I currently avoid, due to pain.
6. better sleep
7. improved quality of life
1. expensive if it doesn't work
2. w/o pain i am concerned that I will do something that might worsen my current injury.
3. pain after procedure
4. fear of having procedure
5. length procedure will be effective
6. surgery risk
7. will insurance see this as medically necessary procedure and approve this treatment. If they do not approve it, we will have a high out of pocket expense.
8. adverse side effects
9. should we do a couple more steroid injections to see if I am a candidate for this procedure? From what I have read this procedure is only considered after several steroid injections fail to give relief.