Pros & Cons of Sending My Children to Boarding School
Created by meggiem on 08/17/2012
I'm wondering if it is more beneficial or detrimental to kids to send them off to be educated at a fine school or if I should keep my son and daughter home. I want the finest education money can buy for them, but I also want them to be grounded and well connected family members.
1. Excellent education opportunities
2. Will make new friends and connections
3. Will have new experiences they could not have at home
4. Will forge new independence, responsibility and maturity.
5. Will learn discipline and other skills I struggle to teach
6. Will allow me to focus more on my career and personal life
1. Little control over who or what they are influenced by. I will remain mostly unaware of their experiences.
2. I will miss them dearly
3. They may become homesick
4. Potential to be exposed to bullying, drugs, drinking and other harmful things
5. They may become detached from the family and depend on their friends too much. They may dread coming home because of lack of freedom and privacy.
6. I may also grow detached from them and enjoy my freedom and empty nest too much.